A Travellerspoint blog



Okay so as I said, I flew to Dublin on the 25th. I waited around in the airport for a while and then met up with Ben! Yay! We took a bus into the city with a group of drunk men, who I assumed were there for a stag party. We checked into our hotel (a hotel - not a hostel! Thanks Monica!!) and then got some food and called it an early night. The next day was Ben's birthday! Being jet-lagged, he had woken up very early and had gone out, and when I woke up he was sitting looking very pleased with himself over a box of cupcakes. We had a buffet breakfast at the hotel, and then went to the zoo. I have been to quite a fe zoos in my time, so I can accurately say that the Dublin zoo is fantastic. They had three baby elephants who were just thrilled to exist, and were hilarious to watch. That evening we had dinner at a pub and then went back to the hotel. The next day there was a huge parade, as it was the 100th anniversary of the Easter Uprisings. There was a ridiculous number of people downtown, and I really thought at one point there was going to be a fight. The police were refusing to open the barricades after the parade because someone important was going to eat dinner at the castle later, so everyone in that area, including us, was stuck until they opened a passage a few blocks away, and everyone was annoyed. When we finally got through, we went to the Guinness storehouse, which was surprisingly difficult to find. So many buildings have GUINNESS on them! We learned about beer and drank some, and then took a horse-drawn carriage ride back to the hotel. The horse's name was Johnny, in case anyone is wondering.

Yesterday we checked out of the hotel and into a hostel in a different area of Dublin, went for a walk in St Stephens Green, which is a beautiful park, and then walked to Aviva Stadium. I got tickets for the Ireland vs Slovakia soccer game! It was a good game, although all the action happened in the first half. It ended with a tie: 2-2. I miss playing soccer!

Today we took a bus to Galway, checked into the hostel, and then had lunch at Finnegan's, which I highly recommend if anyone is ever here. We went for a walk down the river to the beach, where there was a random, aggressive hailstorm. Obviously it happened in the one place where there is no shelter. However by the time we got back into town it was sunny and we were dry. Tomorrow will be very exciting, but I won't tell you about it yet. Hopefully I'll be so excited afterwards that it won't take me this long to update the blog. Again, sorry.

Hope everyone is doing well.


Posted by jennamiller 14:33 Archived in Ireland

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint